Volunteer for Data Visualisation: Human Rights Defenders and Security programme
10-12 hours a week
At Justice and Peace, we believe that consistent, credible data about the operating environment of human rights defenders are critical for enhancing their capacities in reclaiming civic spaces. Through our Human Rights Defenders and Security programme we offer support and protection to human rights defenders at risk by temporarily relocating them in one of the Shelter Cities, and build capacities so that they can continue their work safely and effectively in the long term.
In order to better track a rapidly changing world and strengthen the capacities of human rights defenders to carry out evidence based policy influencing and advocacy in an integrated and holistic way, we are developing a new project and are thus looking for a volunteer on data visualisation to support us with the development of this project.
If you would like to use your expertise for social change then please read our announcement below.
Our data tells a story, and we need you to help us read it. You’ll help us pull back the curtain, notice trends, and apply data to drive change by helping human rights defenders globally to reclaim civic spaces through accessible visuals. If that sounds exciting to you, keep reading.
Your main activities will be:
- Turn text and data into impactful visualization representations by developing a data pipeline (from raw data to visualization).
- Design and implement “Data Storytelling” to ensure that the visuals tell clear, concise stories that can be intuitively interpreted.
- Provide expert advice on data-driven innovation.
We are looking for candidates with the following competences:
- You’re never satisfied with a fluffy answer. You want the facts. You always back up your position with data;
- A love of data and “building” things ― interactive charts, gifs, dashboards, structuring data, and exploring new ways of engaging policy makers, researchers etc. through data storytelling;
- Training in Computer Science, HCI, Engineering, Information Design, a related subject, or commensurate work experience;
- Strong UX design and data visualization skills. Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis and analytic approaches in a clear, precise, and actionable manner;
- Frontend data visualization libraries;
- Tableau, GIS and others desirable;
- Strong quantitative skills and an analytical, data-driven mindset;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills – able to work well in a team environment
We offer you:
- A workplace at our great office (Het Nutshuis) in The Hague centre
- Fresh coffee (Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte Macchiato … we have everything!)
- 50% discount on your lunch at the Juni Café at Het Nutshuis
- Good atmosphere in a small team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand
- Possibility to get acquainted with organisations and people who work for human rights and social change.
Are you interested? Send your motivation and CV to Marieke van der Vliet, Head of Programmes, email@example.com, citing ‘Volunteer for Data Visualisation’.
Deadline: this vacancy will be open until 17 May 2019. Interviews will take place with the successful candidates thereafter.
For more information: Christina Triantafyllidi: Christina.firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 (0)70-7631413.