Human rights defenders and security - Training Officer
About Justice and Peace:
Justice and Peace Netherlands is a non-profit organisation based in The Hague that is dedicated to defending and promoting respect for human rights and social justice, worldwide and in the Netherlands. Empowering change on the local level for human rights – that is our mission. To achieve this, we focus on pragmatic and solutions-based approaches to promoting and protecting the respect for human rights, for everyone, everywhere. We believe in innovation, and through our projects and initiatives, we create new ways to effectively address challenges, incite positive change, ensure long term sustainability and create real impact for human rights. For our human rights defenders and security programme we are looking from the 1st of June 2019 for a:
Human rights defenders and security – Training Officer
Fulltime (36 hours per week)
Location: The Hague, Netherlands
With our worldwide Shelter City Network and Resilience Initiative we provide protection and support to human rights defenders at risk through temporary relocation and security training, so that they can continue their work safely and effectively over the longer term.
We are looking for a Training officer with the following responsibilities:
- you support the ‘Human rights defenders and security’ team to develop trainings for the Shelter City Initiative;
- you design, organize and deliver trainings on security and protection to human rights defenders within our programme;
- you develop creative training practices and training materials for human rights defenders at risk;
- you adapt curriculum to changing needs and to respond to ad hoc training requests by our partners;
- you support the programme with relevant project management tasks (project development, evaluation, reporting, etc.);
- you contribute to the development and strategy of the Shelter City Initiative in the Netherlands and abroad;
- you develop and deliver training on security and protection for external partners.
REQUIREMENTS – Education, skills and experience
- you have an international and / or technical background, you have an academic level education in Politics, International relations, Law or relevant academic background.
- you have an established record in training and facilitating, preferably in working with human rights defenders on security and protection topics;
- you understand challenges faced by Human rights defenders, journalists and activists in their work
- you have an affinity with tech-related issues with implication for human rights. A person with digital security skills will be highly valued;
- you are enthusiastic, creative and have experience working closely and effectively with others in a multi-cultural team;
- you can work in a structured way, have experience with project cycle management, and see what work needs to be done and consequently take initiative;
- you are proficient in English. Dutch and additional languages like French, Spanish, Russian, Swahili or Arabic are an advantage to your application;
- international field experience in similar topics will be highly valued for this position.
We offer you:
- A workplace at our great office (Het Nutshuis) in The Hague centre;
- Fresh coffee (Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte Macchiato … we have everything!);
- 50% discount on your lunch at the Juni Café at Het Nutshuis;
- Good atmosphere in a small multicultural team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- Good and competitive working conditions;
- Transport costs reimbursement.
Are you interested? Send a Motivation letter and CV before the 24th of May 2019 to Mr. Sebastiaan van der Zwaan, Executive Director: email@example.com.
Clearly state that you are applying for the position of ‘HRD and Security Training Officer’. For more information call: +31 (0)70- 7631499.